Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Oktoberfest

     So, lots of people comment after we have our feast about what we made, how it tasted, and where we found the recipes. I thought I'd get my butt in gear and started blogging about it so I could answer the questions, and hopefully convince some of you to try our favourite recipes.

This week's theme: Oktoberfest

Because it was, well, October, we thought it fitting to go German.  On the menu was braised cabbage, German potato salad, soft pretzels, an onion tart/pizza, applesauce, spaetzle, and schnitzel. Did I forget anything? Most of the recipes came from the internet, mine came from a friend familiar with all things German. She wrote out recipes from Luisa Weiss' "My Berlin Kitchen", and Classic German Baking.

Zwiebelkuchen filling:

1 1/2 cups smoked bacon (300 g, I used pork butt, best to get a whole piece and dice it) 1 tsp canola oil 6 big onions (1 kg) Caraway seed (I didn’t use because I don’t like the taste) 2 cups of gryère cheese (I added some mozzarella, the recipe calls for Emmentaler) 1 cup cream 1 dash nutmeg

As I said, I took her list of ingredients and spread them on the store bought pizza dough. I cooked it at 400 for 30 to 40 minutes. It was perfection. Most of the other recipes I am seeing for it call for sour cream instead which would give it a totally different flavour. Hmmm.



The tart/pizza was epic. It's too time intensive to put into weekly rotation, and I even cheated with frozen pizza dough. I discreetly disposed of the bag before my sisters got to my house. Ha! The potato salad (Kartoffelsalat), however, will now be part of my repertoire. Well, at least the "sauce". 

2 pounds of yellow potatoes

Sauté..

2 tbsps butter
2 yellow onions

Deglaze pan with...

1/3 cup white wine vinegar

Simmer and reduce...

2/3 cup broth
1 tbsp dijon mustard
salt
pepper

Boil potatoes, peel, dice, and put in a serving bowl. Take remaining ingredients and make sauce and simmer. Pour over potatoes and toss. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. MAKE DOUBLE THE SAUCE. That's my best advice :)




No comments:

Post a Comment